2011년 4월 8일 금요일

Chain Writing


         I don’t know why I am stuck in here. Actually I don’t even know where this place is; I woke up this morning and I figured out that this was not my bed. A small room, all four walls covered up with white paint, with no window is where I woke up today. Was it today? I can’t even tell if it is day or night. I remember that I was running through the hallway. What hallway was it? Maybe I bumped into a wall or something while running; I just can’t remember anything. Oh my god. What was my name? Hmmm… Branny, Branny Brown, yes, this is my name. I got up from the squeaky bed and searched around the room. I found nothing special in the room; only a bed and a drawer with a bible in it. Okay, I just sat down on the bed again.
The room got noisy, I heard this human voice. I opened my eyes. I had fallen asleep without noticing that I had. There were people with white clothes standing around me. One of them was putting some intravenous fluids through this long needle stuck inside my left wrist. What is happening here? I tried to scream, but I couldn’t. My voice was okay, but it was just that I felt so drooped. Maybe the fluid was a tranquilizer or a sleeping pill. I fell into sleep again.
Was it a dream or just my memory? I found myself in the court. A court? Why was I standing on the court podium? Oh yes, I remember, I was a student of Korean Minjok Leadership Academy (KMLA). It is the student court held every Thursday to penalize students who have violated school regulations.
I’m not sure but, maybe it was because I did not put enough effort in cleaning; I came to court today. Coming to court is not a special event for me, since I come here every week. On Monday, I just putted all my mess inside the closet, and Mr. Kim found that out. I was okay to live in a dirty environment, but the dorm parent hated it. Last week I came to court for violating self-study regulation, since I was sleeping after playing basketball with my friends. This weekly routine, coming to court, is harmful getting high quiz score in AP US History class. My average score of the quizzes are 7 out of 10.
     I realized that everything was going wrong; everything has been wrong since I entered KMLA. My life is so abysmal, hopeless, and disastrous. My tragic life began from this one incident: learning how to play Starcraft.
I gradually became the master of Starcraft; no one in the school could beat me. As I got better and better, I played Starcraft with more and more passion. Maybe, Mr. Kim should have caught me computer violation before I got addicted to the game. That would have been much better… At that moment, I was happy that Mr. Kim never entered my room. I always played the game; Starcraft was my life.
It was finally the day of Starcraft competition during Minjok Festival. It was so easy for me to beat every single person who joined the competition up. In a few minutes, I was already playing the final game. I was about to win; except that I made a huge mistake. Well, it was no more than just a mistake, but it was something big. To play more comfortable, I moved my chair. Unfortunately, the wheel ran over my toe. That accident was not serious, no damage to my bone, but sharply painful enough to make me shout out in agony and anger. With my scream, the air resonated. The resonation hit the closed door, lingered for a moment and amplified into the corridor with greater intensity. It turned the corner and went down the stairs, step by step into the careful ears of the dorm parent. I imagine his closed eyes snapped open, and suddenly he was right there next to me – all of a sudden.
So shocked by the sudden advent, my body froze. My pupil dilated and my mind became blank. I ran out through door, to find a safe place to get out of Mr. Kim’s reach. “Relax” said the dorm parent. He was no more a human; he was in a shape of devil. His eye turned red and hissed, “You can do that anytime you like but you can never escape.” The dorm hallway was not that long; I bumped into the wall. “B.A.N.G!”
Oh, that must have hurt. Now I remember, yes, I was trying to escape from the devilish dorm parent. Or was he really a Satan? Anyways what is this place here? I am pretty sure that I had a short term memory loss because of the bump; because of that I cannot remember what happened next. I am just sitting in this place with white cloth on. Huh? White pants? I don’t recognize myself wearing white clothes. Maybe I should ask when the guys who gave me a shot come in again.

“So, is Branny okay, doctor?”
“Well, sorry to say this, but he is…… not okay. Well, not a serious problem, but he is schizophrenia. Addicted to game, he started to make up his own fantasy world and characters. He has hard time differentiating the fantasy world from the real world. He will need to be treated for weeks.”
“Please, please, oh doctor, please……”
“Don’t worry ma’am. We are going to try our best to cure Branny Brown.”

댓글 1개:

  1. Good work! The details and context you've added really bring new life to the work, and the dream layer works nicely to create the schizophrenic atmosphere. This is truly an example of satire, as it seems to poke fun at student life at KMLA, using game obsession and court to show how a student could understandably go nuts with too many things to think about. Excellent work.

    답글삭제