2011년 5월 25일 수요일

Highrise rough draft














What do I see when I look out my window? 
When I look out the window, I see cars rushing through St. Nambusoonhwan, people, usually students like me, carrying big bags and hurrying to somewhere, and big, fat, ugly pigeons, which can’t even fly because they are too fat, walking around. I can also see trees lined up exactly as what people planned, street lights and street signs all well organized, and construction scene for changing blocks, colors all faded, of the sidewalk. Daegok Elementary School and Mido shopping center are crowded with people. Tons of Hagwons are there for students and millions of restaurant and cafes for mothers. Eunma Apartment, right next to our Mido Apartment, looks very old as if it was built more than 50 years ago, when actually it’s been only 30 years. Far in the back, when the weather is clear, tip of COEX is spotted. When I look out the other window, facing the other side, I can see 210-dong of Mido Apartment and the very top part of Daemo Mountain. Very peaceful. It is a typical scenery of MODERN KOREAN CITY.

How does that compare to the view out my chosen participant's window?
Chicago is big city in Illinois. The image of Gangnam and Chicago, of course Gangnan is not a CITY but still, is very similar. Skyscrapers and downtown, a fun place to live; you can smell the air of city. However, in the back of this splendid, wonderful scene, the poor people are suffering, not knowing where to go. HOME is the sweetest place that one can ever think of; it does not matter if it is a big fancy one or small dirty one. Donna lost her home; she lost the smallest happiness she can ever have.
What are the items/features of my home that define culture, family, and well being?

How do Korea's economy, politics, and cultural issues compare to that of (other country)?
People should no more ignore their neighbors suffering. The government advertises Korea as the rising country, full of abilities, and a good place to live. The fancy night view of Seoul makes a romantic sight for couples to go out on a date; looking down from the Namsan Tower the roads of Seoul looks like a star. 2010 G20 submit was also held in Korea; Korea is now on the level of the developed countries. However, there are still Daldongne and Panjachon, where the poor lives. We shouldn’t ignore these people. Donna needs help. She’s been moving for years but couldn’t settle down. On the other side of brightness, there is the dark side.

What are your impressions after experiencing HIGHRISE?
Highrise is another symbol of modernization and globalization. As Korea is trying to imitate US in cultural, social aspect, there are many similarities. Highrise shows the development of one country, but it also hides the negative aspect of industrialization.

Everybody has a "here and now," resulting from seemingly insignificant life choices and conditions.  What are mine?  Have I thought much about them? 
Moving into Gangwon from Seoul.

Can a mouse click change history?
Maybe yes.





댓글 1개:

  1. Very nice descriptive writing style you've employed. That is very suitable for an intro. Keep in mind that those questions I posed on my blog were just to get you in the right frame of mind, and aren't meant to be a literal part of your essay that you must cover. There is no rule to how or what this essay should incorporate, but I do want the HIGHRISE project and you and your individual world to be at the root of a shared theme. Chicago has some similarities with Seoul - a slick shiny surface with hidden dark sides.

    So continue with your creative style and have some fun with this.

    답글삭제